Q. How is paraquat used safely?
A. As with all pesticides, normal user precautions need to be taken when using and handling paraquat. Put simply, these are:
- Exercise caution at all times
- Read and understand the product label
- Ensure good personal hygiene
- Ensure care and maintenance of application equipment
- Use personal protective clothing and equipment (PPE) where required. For paraquat this is defined as using eye protection and gloves when handling concentrated product and normal work wear, such as long-sleeved shirts, long trousers, and waterproof shoes, for spraying pesticides generally. FAO guidelines for personal protection when working with pesticides in tropical climates can be read here.